Thursday, April 10, 2014

Virtual vs Reality

Ready Player One
Ernest Cline
Crown Publishers
2011
Realistic Fiction



The book Ready Player One, takes place during the year 2044. The main character of the story’s name is Wade Watts. Earth is not the fun future that most people thought it would be in the past. Most people don’t even want to look at what has become of the earth so people use this technology called OASIS. OASIS is a virtual world with over thousands of planets. Wade, as you can probably guessed, also uses the OASIS but he doesn’t just play it to escape from the real world. He plays it to find the Ultimate Lottery Ticket. It is a giant treasure that holds a massive fortune and unremarkable power. This does however lead to conflicts which, if i give away will spoil the story.
“It’s the year 2044, and the real world is an ugly place.”

This books writing style is somewhat familiar to me. I haven’t read any of his other books but there is an author who writes similarly to him. I would be interested in reading more of his books.

“My avatar slowly materialized in front of the control panel in my stronghold”s command center, the same spot where i’d been sitting the night before, engaged in my evening ritual of staring blankly at the Quatrain until a drifted off to sleep and the system logged me out.”

I read this book because it reminded me of this show I watched. As i read through the book the similarities appeared more often. For example, both the show and the book take place in a virtual world.

I will rate this book a 2-4 paws depending on the person. This however depends for most people. If they aren’t that interested in games then they probably will not like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment